Songbird 1.1 Installer Is Here

tightening-screwdriver-standing

Ubuntu installer for Songbird 1.1.1 is here, FREE OF CHARGE!!! :P

ON TO FEATURES!

Album ArtOn demand Fetching of Album Artwork
Songbird can now fetch album artwork from the web at your command. Simply select or right-click a track and choose “Get Album Artwork”. You can also select your preferred source of artwork. By default, Songbird will retrieve album artwork from Last.fm but you can install other sources such as amazon.com via an add-on.

Watch FolderWatch Folders
You can choose to watch a folder hierarchy for changes and the content will auto-magically be imported in your library. If a file is removed from the watched folder, the corresponding track will be deleted from your Library.

SortingBetter Sorting
Library sorting supports unicode collation and better handling of leading definite and indefinite articles such as “The” and “a”.

Replay GainReplay gain support (normalization)
If a track’s metadata contains replay gain (including iTunes-specific) information, Songbird will adjust the playback gain appropriately.

Improved Media CoreImproved Media Core & Better gapless playback
We rewrote the low level media core component for Windows to improve playback performance and lower cpu usage. Also, if an mp3 encoder places metadata information to indicate the exact beginning and end of the audio, Songbird is able to read it and use it to skip padding data that does not contain audio, leading to perfect gapless playback.

Improved MTP SupportMTP Device Support
We fixed many bugs affecting MTP devices on Windows. We’ve also added the ability to synch authorized Windows Media DRM’ed content to your MTP device. To see if your MTP device is supported, or to report your findings, visit the MTP device page.

7digital Music Store7digital MP3 Store (Beta)
Buy high quality MP3s (up to 320kbps) from the 7digital store in Songbird. The 7digital store in Songbird uses your most recently played tracks to recommend albums to you. Plus, 7digital contributes a portion of every purchase back to Songbird’s development. Every song you buy supports your favorite artist AND our development. Woot! The UK store is fully stocked, but the US and other European stores are still continuing to populate a complete catalog of music.

Performance Enhancements

We’ve continued to make the application more stable and zippier in all sorts of ways. Amongst other things, you should notice a smaller memory footprint and decreased CPU usage.

We made some substantial gains this release:

• Reduced memory use with a large library by 40%
  • Cut CPU usage during playback by half
  • Fixed playback memory leaks
  • Made library caching configurable
  • Added batching to the media importer, reducing memory use by 60%
  • Reduced Mac download size 45%
  • Fewer Crashes: We’ve worked hard to identify and fix ten of the most common crashes in Songbird.

32-Bit:

Songbird 1.1.1 Linux Installer Download Link #1 (Dani.Tac-Ops.net)

Songbird 1.1.1 Linux Installer Download Link #2 (MediaFire.com)

Songbird 1.1.1 Linux Installer Download Link #3 (FileFactory.com)

64-Bit:

Songbird 1.1.1 Linux Installer Download Link #1 (Dani.Tac-Ops.net)

Make a fresh install or upgrade previous Songbird version, either way works. Have fun.

22 Responses to “Songbird 1.1 Installer Is Here”

1. 1 Antoine Turmel (GeekShadow) March 11, 2009 at 2:36 am

Damn you are so fast !
    I did a blog post about Songbird 1.1 too ;)

2. 2 Erich March 11, 2009 at 2:43 am

Hehe, I did it for you! :)

3. 3 hoihoi March 11, 2009 at 3:25 am

getting

SBAppInitialize:SBRegisterSongbirdProtocol()
    TypeError: Components.classes['@mozilla.org/gnome-gconf-service;1'] is undefined

whats upp

4. 6 Erich March 11, 2009 at 3:44 am

This installer is for 32-bit, but if you wait a few minutes, I’ll make up a 64-bit version.

5. 7 hoihoi March 11, 2009 at 4:21 am

yeahh thanks

6. 8 Erich March 11, 2009 at 4:22 am

Does the 64-Bit version work for you?

7. 9 hoihoi March 11, 2009 at 4:36 am

nope doesnt start at all^^ but had the same problem with the 32 bit version and reinstalling solved the problem.. hmmmm

must go sleeping now.. i’ll worry about this another time

(how do you think about my english, i’m austrian and i think its pretty well^^)

8. 10 theaulddubliner March 11, 2009 at 7:14 am

hey thanks for all these .debs - making the betas much easier to use and now the release

9. 11 Amr Hassan March 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Thanks :)

10. 12 Erich March 11, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hah, I’m glad it’s working for you. Your English is pretty good, by the way. :)

11. 13 Rick Stone March 11, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for making these debs available. I am experiencing one problem, though: in both Intrepid and in Jaunty, the “Check for Updates” option in the Help menu is greyed out, and when I try to check my extensions for updates, all I get is the spinner and it hangs and never actually checks anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

12. 14 Tim Johnson March 11, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for the fast deb provision! How is CD Ripping progressing? It will move Songbird to the top of any media app list!

13. 15 Marcos March 11, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I tried installing by .deb and src and all I get is errors such as:

Could not initialize GStreamer: …

and keep hanging on libraries

I have all the necessary libs including -devs, I run all other programs fine (Exaile, Rhytmbox, Audacious, Mplayer, Smplayer)…

I’m running Ubuntu 8.10,

any Idea whats happening?

14. 17 Erich March 12, 2009 at 1:04 am

There seems to be a lot of people having problems with this new release of Songbird. Unfortunately I cannot help as I have not encountered any of these problems, nor have I been told of any solutions. Your best bet would be the Songbird forums.

15. 18 Yanguang March 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

@Eric: Thanks for making the .deb files available for 64 bit =) .

@ Rick Stone: I had the same thing happen to me on Jaunty, however, I just clicked ‘cancel’ and manually installed back the addons I used to have, and it seemed to work fine after that. Perhaps you could try that if it still does not work.

16. 19 Anima Mia March 13, 2009 at 5:01 am